Saturday, 27 November 2010

Íslendigarnir hafa engar tennur, eða, Nammidagur (The Icelanders have no teeth, or, Nammi day)

Hello everybody,


Icelanders have no teeth. Or they shouldn't By what Óðinn giving grace that most people should walk around with a pearly set of whites is nothing short of a freaking miracle. Why you ask? Well first of Iceland consumes more kók per capita that most countries in the world. The second reason is this:

NAMMIDAGUR!

Or, "Nammi day!" If you prefer.

Nammi is the Icelandic word for sweets or candies, although I think it has the connotation of gumminess riding on its coattails. All Icelandic convenient stores or super markets or whatever have a bulk candy section. No exceptions. And saturday is Nammidagur, which means all this bulk candy (read: high fructose corn syrup) is half off. And this sale starts at midnight! Parents of the world can see where I am going with this, and I can imagine they are all recoiling in horror. Icelandic children basically have the run of the place. Iceland is a very safe and friendly country, so kids run around here much like they did in what I imagine my grandmother's time was like. So basically, kids buy as much sugar as their pocketbooks will allow and go crazy on Saturdays.

It's not an overwhelming thing, so that all the elderly folks stay inside on Saturdays for fear of being harassed by a group of sugar-soaked ferrets, but there is often a sort of energy in the air. I saw a group of kids playing football (soccer) in a park the other day and I think one had gone into a Nammi-induced beserker rage of some sort because he was plowing through his opponents and teammates alike, like a japanese whalebone knife through equally Japanese tissuepaper.

Well, that's all for now, It's only Nammdagur for a few more hours so I better get to it.

-Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment