Daginn,
Last night I went to my neighbourhood pool for the first time. Vesturbæjarlaugin is located in the nice neighbourhood of Melar which in turn is in the district Vesturbær. Vesturbæjarlaugin is known for is large kid-friendly atmosphere. There are two pools outdoors, one is a large lap pool and the other a wading pool for the kids. There are also five hot pots (hot tubs) with water temperatures from 30 degrees Celsius to 50 degrees Celsius. Vesturbæjarlaugin also has a large steam room and outdoor rain showers. There are sixteen swimming pools in the greater Reykjavík area and Vesturbæjarlaugin is reputed to be one of the best. I certainly enjoyed my time there! I swam laps for about half an hour and then jumped between the hot pots and steam room.
Hot tubs are an Icelandic birthright. If you're damned to live in a dark and cold place it only seems fair you should have a nice warm pool to hang out in during the winter. The Brits have pubs, Americans have... television? Icelanders have pools. According to the folks at the Fulbrightstofnun it really makes a difference during the winter--to be able to swim outside for a couple of hours and get some fresh air. Most Icelanders have a pool of choice, but Hjördís at the Fulbright office recommended I try several before committing. Still, I really like Vesturbæjarlaugin and it is only a couple of blocks from my flat.
Icelandic pools aren't much like those in the US. For a start they are heated. The lap pool in my neighbourhood's pool is 30 degrees Celsius so it is suitable even for winter swimming and none of the pools are over chlorinated. In older times, saltwater was used in the pools, but nowadays chlorine is used. But in minimal amounts. This is because all swimmers shower thoroughly naked before they swim.
That's right folks! You soap up and rinse down before each swim. Icelanders are usually quite nonchalant about showering and have little hangups about chatting in the shower. You can usually tell the foreigners because they sprint from the locker room to the shower and wash with one hand over their bits and the other over their face. In case you weren't clear what to wash:
There it is folks, the androgynous body washing guide found in every Reykjavík swimming pool. Good hygiene makes the pools much better for your skin and hair. For those of you who come to visit I think you will definitely find that a little discomfort (if you are afraid of nudity, gymnophobic or otherwise) is worth the great experience.
I'll be sure to post more about different pools I visit.
-Nick
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Good job with your blog
ReplyDeleteWe have visited your blog by accident, and we have liked it a lot.
We would like you to visit our blog http://huertoimprovisado.blogspot.com/
Big hugs from Spain.
huertoimprovisado
Haha, Hi creeper above! Anyways. I am uncomfortable with nudity with myself, but I am excited to see and feel these different pools! But I resent that you say we don't wash off before the pool. Have you never been to the good ol' YMCA? I ALWAYS had to get naked there and wash my privates before AND after I was in the pool. Trust me. The memory of wrinkly ball sacks will FOREVER be etched in my mind.
ReplyDeleteDo you have to join a pool, like a health club in the US or can you visit any one you wish?
ReplyDeleteLove the blog.
The Auntie
Hi Jean,
ReplyDeleteYou absolutely are free to go to any pool you wish. A single entry is about 400 ISK. By joining a pool you can save a lot of money especially if you go often. If you are just an occasional visitor you can pick up a "10 uses" card and they throw in one free visit.
Hope that helps,
-Nick