This is just a short entry to make sure everyone has checked out Dear Blank, Please Blank (http://www.dearblankpleaseblank.com/). It's a sassy little website akin to FML (F My Life) and TFLN (Texts From Last Night) in that people who fancy themselves clever upload messages about events from their lives in the form of "Dear Blank, Please Blank".
As an example, this is one of my favourites:
Dear Students,
I know when you're texting.
Sincerely, No one just looks down at their crotch and smiles.
I had one of these moments last night before hitting Kaffi Barrinn for a pint.
Dear Icelandic Girls,
If you are drunk and wearing heels right now, you deserve to fall in the snow.
Sincerely, A concerned foreigner.
To understand this you must understand what a skinka is. Skinka means "ham" in Icelandic and it is used to describe a very specific subclass of young ladies. These ladies bleach their hair into oblivion and wear lots and lots of self tanner and nude lipstick. They like revealing clothing and high heels, especially on nights when we just received eight inches of snow. You deserve to fall ladies! This is Iceland, please where some flats with traction, better luck next time.
Below is an image of a normal girl being transformed into a skinka (and this is pretty toned down compared to what I see on a weekly basis).
-Nick
PS: Most Icelandic women are not skinkur. In fact, not all women who wear heels or dress revealingly are skinkur. It's a very specific phenomenon and the word should not be thrown around lightly!

I don't remember seeing any Skinks! I hope Mark gets to see some!!
ReplyDelete